Skip to main content

Whimsyy's Third Week


Whimsyy's Third Week

During our last lecture, the class was separated into five groups of six people. I was placed in the ‘Yellow’ group with 5 others, Muriel001/ JonathanBK/ Maevebrienny/ JeromeZZC and Cmragasa. I decided I wanted to get a start on gathering the group together so that we could get a start on the project assigned to us.
I realized during the week that we all knew each other as only by our avatar names which meant I didn't know the real names of the people in my group. To be able to find them, I posted a comment on the SL facebook group page for all to see so that I could find team 'Yellow'; "Hey guys Whimsyy from the Yellow group, just realized we don't know our real names so had no way of knowing who is who. Could you just add a 'y' here so I can add you in a group chat to organise the meet up please and thank you in advance". One from the group wrote back so we decided to meet up in SL. We chose to go explore the places that we each wrote about in our blogs the previous week. This was also a bonding exercise which I felt was useful to feel bonded with group members to make it easier to communicate in the future. 
The first place my team member Muriel001 and I went to was Moscow which was mainly a Russian speaking world which was her first choice of location. We drove around in a VW beetle for awhile exploring the land and having a giggle taking turns driving.
Driving around in a VW beetle.
We are getting better at this.

The next location we went to was 'Winter Wonderland' which was where I went two weeks ago. We went on the ski lift as well as going into the cabins to see the beautiful Christmas themed settings. 
 
Exploring 'Winter Wonderland' with Muriel001, my group member. 
Going to the ski slops. 
Sitting having a chat with Muriel001.
The third place we went to was Muriel001's second choice and as Muriel001's is polish in real-life, she chose a polish speaking world which was full of many large sized classic games including connect four. We tested out our skills so far on several of the games and then went onto the next location.
Testing our board game skills.
We cant figure out how to play!


Our fourth and final location was my second choice to show Muriel001. We transported to 'The Shelter' where I went last week to dance and chat to new avatars. We both joined the dance line and chatted to some of the other avatars dancing with us. 
I felt this was a good bonding exercise for us. Hopefully we will get the rest of group 'Yellow' to join another time. 
Myself and Muriel001 dancing at 'The Shelter'.
Look at us move!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whimsyy's Fifth Week

Whimsyy's Fifth Week The medium is the message: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/195279 Our Class this week was moved to the day before its usual schedule as our lecture was away and it was a more suited day to go ahead with the class. Not everyone could attend but I managed to re-arrange my plans to make it as I wanted to ask about the assignment given. John spoke about Marshall McLuhan and how he sees tools as an extension of what we can do as well as an extension of ourselves. We were using different tools as examples to explain how his thought process went. If you have a hammer, it’s a hammer simple as, but if you pick it up, it is now part of you. Depending on what you chose to do with it and now you see though the hammers virtual eyes, thinking of the things you can do with it. We make tools do certain things, but the manner in which we use it, can be a cure or a disease. This impacts how we see everything around us. We then talked about how this all depends on wha

Whimsyy's First Week

                                                                        Whimsyy's First Week                                          Image captured in SL of my avatar flying.  My Journey into second life began when I had to pick an avatar which best suited me. Instead of going into great detail of personalizing a character, I just chose to pick a default character as no one knew what I looked like in person apart from 4 people from my original class, I didn't feel the want or need for others to see what I really looked like. I also felt that being an avatar gave me a chance to step out of the ordinary so why look ordinary? I may change the avatar exterior look in time as it wont matter because my avatars name will stay the same.                                             Image captured in SL in our virtual class. On Thursday the 27th at 8pm I went to the set location for the class and flew my avatar up unto the room and sat down. The rest began to follow an

Whimsyy's Sixth Week

Whimsyy's Sixth Week For today’s class, John spoke about the importance of our blogs and to make sure that they are refined. I did a few changes so I’m hoping my blogs are up to standard. John was also saying to go from describing my experience in Second Life to now reflecting on my experience of team building which I will go though at the end. We were also asked to talk about how I might convert my personal presence online into an identity for professional networking as it is very important, therefore, to be aware of the nature of the online environment and to maintain a high level of digital literacy. Personal presence online can be as important to employers/ employees/ customers and followers, one must take into consideration when posting on social media, that it is there for all to see and that you can be judged with positivity but to expect the negativity too. Not everything is everyone’s “cup of tea” and it can have a backlash effect on one’s personal career or how