Skip to main content

Whimsyy's First Week


                                                                       Whimsyy's First Week

                                        
Image captured in SL of my avatar flying. 

My Journey into second life began when I had to pick an avatar which best suited me. Instead of going into great detail of personalizing a character, I just chose to pick a default character as no one knew what I looked like in person apart from 4 people from my original class, I didn't feel the want or need for others to see what I really looked like. I also felt that being an avatar gave me a chance to step out of the ordinary so why look ordinary? I may change the avatar exterior look in time as it wont matter because my avatars name will stay the same.

                                           
Image captured in SL in our virtual class.

On Thursday the 27th at 8pm I went to the set location for the class and flew my avatar up unto the room and sat down. The rest began to follow and within that house we all got a grasp of how to use the chat button to talk as well as type if you prefer, I don't mind either as even though the class could  hear my voice, they couldn't see me which made me feel comfortable to communicate. 

We were assigned to visit 3 locations which caught our interest and explain the reasons why. I chose to visit Bora Bora as I've always wanted to go there in real life so I may as well get a feel of it in SL. I landed at the location and within 2 minutes I was "ejected from this parcel by 'Land-Security Orb'."For some reason they were requesting I gave my bank details, which wasn't happening. 
I chanced my arm to try and go back to even get a picture of the location and got a"Cannot enter parcel, you have been banned." message, but at least I got a picture before I was ejected! 

Image captured in the vertual Fiji.

I then went to try Fiji  and got "No access" and "No valid parcel could be found" for Fiji Island. I began to run into this problem a lot as I tried Milan and got "only members of a certain area can visit here". I think this is a sign to give it a rest for the night. 

Back again to try venture around more locations. I thought I would start off today with the basics by choosing a destination from the given categories, in the 'Editor's Picks' list. The one that caught my eye was 'Pendle Hill', "a new creepy sim build". I was amazed to find that the scenery was like it was straight out of a Harry Potter film. One of the buildings façade was based on the sweet shop 'Honeydukes' from the film but had more of a dark and eerie look to it. I entered the building to have a look around due to curiosity of the similarities. I walked up the stairs to get a better view, there was a glow of particles swarming in a circle in the middle of the room which gave a magical vibe. As I was walking back down the stairs, I noticed there was a creepy doll sitting beside the stairs which kept turning its head to look around at me, perfect setting to go into to give you the creeps, especially with Halloween approaching. 

My avatar at the front gates of 'Pendle Hill'. 
   Sweet shop 'Honeydukes'


The next location I chose to teleport to was 'Haunted Silent Peacock Hotel, which reminded me of 'Murder on the Orient Express', a film about a trip through Europe which quickly unfolds into a race against time to solve a murder aboard a train. Other than seeing a dead body on the ground covered up in tarp, I decided there was nothing else to explore in this location.  
Scene from  'Murder on the Orient Express'
I felt the need for something more lively and tried to teleport to 'Totally 80's Club', to unfortunately be told I need to be at least 45 days old to visit the land, which I found funny as in the real world there is an age limit to enter a club and yet there still seems to be rules even for an avatar. 
Suddenly I had an urge to see snow, to get a feel for Christmas since I had just explored a few Halloween themed worlds. I googled snow locations to visit in SL and three caught my attention, 1) Club Tesoro, 2) #TPP Winter Playground and 3) Winter Wonderland. The first two locations I couldn't seem to enter but the third, 'Winter Wonderland' was there thankfully. The name lived up to expectation. Looking around to see crisp white snow everywhere, there were also elves, large snowmen, Christmas lights and decorations hanging from the trees. As I began to wonder I noticed a ski lift and a location were you can rent a snow sled to enjoy the slops. I came across a few wooden log cabins with festive coloured string lighting surrounding them. My favorite part of the world was an outdoor glamping bed which looked very cosy, with Venetian blinds surrounding the cubed frame for some privacy. It definitely was a location for glamping under the stars. 





Images captures in the virtual 'Winter Wonderland'




Comments

  1. Great start to your experience of virtual worlds and your blog. Well done! Interesting that your avatar had to be old enough to access the club!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Whimsyy's Fifth Week

Whimsyy's Fifth Week The medium is the message: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/195279 Our Class this week was moved to the day before its usual schedule as our lecture was away and it was a more suited day to go ahead with the class. Not everyone could attend but I managed to re-arrange my plans to make it as I wanted to ask about the assignment given. John spoke about Marshall McLuhan and how he sees tools as an extension of what we can do as well as an extension of ourselves. We were using different tools as examples to explain how his thought process went. If you have a hammer, it’s a hammer simple as, but if you pick it up, it is now part of you. Depending on what you chose to do with it and now you see though the hammers virtual eyes, thinking of the things you can do with it. We make tools do certain things, but the manner in which we use it, can be a cure or a disease. This impacts how we see everything around us. We then talked about how this all depends on wha

Whimsyy's Third Week

Whimsyy's Third Week During our last lecture, the class was separated into five groups of six people. I was placed in the ‘Yellow’ group with 5 others, Muriel001/ JonathanBK/ Maevebrienny/ JeromeZZC and Cmragasa. I decided I wanted to get a start on gathering the group together so that we could get a start on the project assigned to us. I realized during the week that we all knew each other as only by our avatar names which meant I didn't know the real names of the people in my group. To be able to find them, I posted a comment on the SL facebook group page for all to see so that I could find team 'Yellow'; " Hey guys Whimsyy from the Yellow group, just realized we don't know o ur real names so had no way of knowing who is who. Could you just add a 'y' here so I can add you in a group chat to organise the meet up please and thank you in advance". One from the group wrote back so we decided to meet up in SL. We chose to go explore the pla