Skip to main content

Whimsyy's Fourth Week

Whimsyy's Fourth Week

We were asked to make a pitch to present during class just to help us get into the flow of presenting. I decided to go with "the question pitch" which I felt went best with what I wanted to pitch. 
"The Question Pitch
Ask yourself, ‘Are you better off now than you were four years ago?
If your presentation’s central idea is already understood by your audience, a question pitch may be ideal. In the 1980 US presidential election campaign between Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, Reagan asked a simple question, “Ask yourself, ‘Are you better off now than you were four years ago?’” Most people immediately understood the question and its context. Reagan became the 40th President of the United States. For Hydrolyzier it might be, “How can you supply a rural village in Ghana, West Africa with clean drinking water in under 36 hours, and at less than 60% of the cost of other water purification systems?”
Having been put into groups and discussed last week the pros and cons of being in a group, it reminded me of in the film Harry Potter when Harry was getting placed into a housing group with the sorting hat. I wondered how it would be if you had to do a presentation with a group of similar people, would everyone be fitting for the same roles? Or would everyone see the same and get on well. 

My pitch: 
Are you brave/ loyal and adventurous?
Or more so wise/ creative and clever? How about hard working/ patient and dedicated?
Or are you prideful/ resourceful and ambitious? Want to feel welcomed into a group of relatable people?
What family do you belong to?
Only one way to find out, get sorted into your house now!

- Housing Quiz


I chose to go ahead with my pitch just to get it out of the way as my nerves were bubbling up from procrastinating. I hand to make my avatar stand in front of the rest of the class to do so. Even though it was a virtual presentation, I was still trembling in real life, I thought it would have been easier as no one could really see me but it felt worse as they are hanging on my every word instead. I went ahead with it and felt I did ok I was happy I done it to get use to virtual presentations. 

"The Question Pitch" - https://strategypeak.com/elevator-pitch-examples/?fbclid=IwAR1nR3ovjqnl1ZVatiAVjHqG0u_uDsReh4FfMpjBQRyyswpXapFGFvx81pA

'The Hogwarts Sorting Quiz' - https://www.playbuzz.com/emilyz14/the-hogwarts-sorting-quiz-pottermore-version





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whimsyy's First Week

                                                                        Whimsyy's First Week                                          Image captured in SL of my avatar flying.  My Journey into second life began when I had to pick an avatar which best suited me. Instead of going into great detail of personalizing a character, I just chose to pick a default character as no one knew what I looked like in person apart from 4 people from my original class, I didn't feel the want or need for others to see what I really looked like. I also felt that being an avatar gave me a chance to step out of the ordinary so why look ordinary? I may change the avatar exterior look in time as it wont matter because my avatars name will stay the same.                                             Image captured in SL in our virtual class. On Thursday the 27th at 8pm I went to the set location for the class and flew my avatar up unto the room and sat down. The rest began to follow an

Whimsyy's Fifth Week

Whimsyy's Fifth Week The medium is the message: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/195279 Our Class this week was moved to the day before its usual schedule as our lecture was away and it was a more suited day to go ahead with the class. Not everyone could attend but I managed to re-arrange my plans to make it as I wanted to ask about the assignment given. John spoke about Marshall McLuhan and how he sees tools as an extension of what we can do as well as an extension of ourselves. We were using different tools as examples to explain how his thought process went. If you have a hammer, it’s a hammer simple as, but if you pick it up, it is now part of you. Depending on what you chose to do with it and now you see though the hammers virtual eyes, thinking of the things you can do with it. We make tools do certain things, but the manner in which we use it, can be a cure or a disease. This impacts how we see everything around us. We then talked about how this all depends on wha

Whimsyy's Sixth Week

Whimsyy's Sixth Week For today’s class, John spoke about the importance of our blogs and to make sure that they are refined. I did a few changes so I’m hoping my blogs are up to standard. John was also saying to go from describing my experience in Second Life to now reflecting on my experience of team building which I will go though at the end. We were also asked to talk about how I might convert my personal presence online into an identity for professional networking as it is very important, therefore, to be aware of the nature of the online environment and to maintain a high level of digital literacy. Personal presence online can be as important to employers/ employees/ customers and followers, one must take into consideration when posting on social media, that it is there for all to see and that you can be judged with positivity but to expect the negativity too. Not everything is everyone’s “cup of tea” and it can have a backlash effect on one’s personal career or how