Skip to main content

Whimsyy's Fifth Week


Whimsyy's Fifth Week

The medium is the message: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/195279
Our Class this week was moved to the day before its usual schedule as our lecture was away and it was a more suited day to go ahead with the class. Not everyone could attend but I managed to re-arrange my plans to make it as I wanted to ask about the assignment given. John spoke about Marshall McLuhan and how he sees tools as an extension of what we can do as well as an extension of ourselves. We were using different tools as examples to explain how his thought process went. If you have a hammer, it’s a hammer simple as, but if you pick it up, it is now part of you. Depending on what you chose to do with it and now you see though the hammers virtual eyes, thinking of the things you can do with it. We make tools do certain things, but the manner in which we use it, can be a cure or a disease. This impacts how we see everything around us. We then talked about how this all depends on what way we are doing so, for example, radio or television which was a major source of how the world took in information before there were smart phones or the internet. The radio was good to take in information while still being mobile, whereas with the television, you have to pay more attention. Marshall McLuhan wants us to “be aware of the impact that the tools we use repeatedly is having on our perception and understanding of our reality”. Our way of living is killing our planet quicker than its regenerating.

The group project still hasn't developed yet. I heard from another member from the group since my meet up with Murial001, but there were still four of our members missing. I wrote again in the Second Life Facebook group to try and get in contact with the rest of the group and this time it was a success. I have all but one in a group chat which I created. I was told the missing member might not have a Facebook account so I wrote to them in SL during class but didn't get a response. We have organised to go ahead and meet up on the 31st at 2pm in SL at our virtual DIT class. Looking forward to meeting the rest of group 'Yellow'.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whimsyy's First Week

                                                                        Whimsyy's First Week                                          Image captured in SL of my avatar flying.  My Journey into second life began when I had to pick an avatar which best suited me. Instead of going into great detail of personalizing a character, I just chose to pick a default character as no one knew what I looked like in person apart from 4 people from my original class, I didn't feel the want or need for others to see what I really looked like. I also felt that being an avatar gave me a chance to step out of the ordinary so why look ordinary? I may change the avatar exterior look in time as it wont matter because my avatars name will stay the same.                                             Image captured in SL in our virtual class. On Thursday the 27th at 8pm I went to the set location for the class and flew my avatar up unto the room and sat down. The rest began to follow an

Whimsyy's Sixth Week

Whimsyy's Sixth Week For today’s class, John spoke about the importance of our blogs and to make sure that they are refined. I did a few changes so I’m hoping my blogs are up to standard. John was also saying to go from describing my experience in Second Life to now reflecting on my experience of team building which I will go though at the end. We were also asked to talk about how I might convert my personal presence online into an identity for professional networking as it is very important, therefore, to be aware of the nature of the online environment and to maintain a high level of digital literacy. Personal presence online can be as important to employers/ employees/ customers and followers, one must take into consideration when posting on social media, that it is there for all to see and that you can be judged with positivity but to expect the negativity too. Not everything is everyone’s “cup of tea” and it can have a backlash effect on one’s personal career or how